Plant Breeding and Acclimatization Institute – National Research Institute was established in 1951 as a scientific institution, to research the field of breeding and seeding of crops, technologies for growing oilseed, root and potato plants as well as implementation, dissemination, standardization, and unification work.
The Bonin Research Center in Bonin was established for research solely dedicated to potato and is today the only agricultural research institute in the north of the country. Research areas of the unit in Bonin:
- Collection and maintenance in the form of in-vitro crops and microbubbles of domestic and foreign potato varieties.
- Development of new diagnostic tests and improvement of existing methods for the detection of bacterial and viral pathogens of potato.
- Evaluation of seed potato infection by viruses: PVY, PVM, PVS, PVA, PVX, PLRV, TRV by DAS-ELISA.
- Monitoring the dynamics of abundance and species composition of aphids, threats of soil pests and potato fungal diseases in Poland.
- Testing new plant protection products (insecticides, fungicides, herbicides, desiccants) for registration tests.
- Field and laboratory tests related to yielding and healthiness of potato tubers.
- Development of methods for quick identification of potato varieties.
- Research to limit the spread of bacterial and fungal pathogens of potato by developing disinfection methods for tubers, rooms, containers and agricultural equipment.
- Expertise and assistance in complaint proceedings regarding potato production.
Within the unit, there is the only tetraploid Potato Plant in Poland, and one of the largest in Europe, Tetraploid Potato Plant in the form of in vitro plants. The bank maintains 1,600 healthy potato genotypes from around the world, which are a varietal basis for breeders and other Scientific Institutes and Universities.
Bonin Research Center in Bonin for 26 years, annually organizes the National Potato Days, a specialist industry exhibition and training event, addressed to farmers and companies in the agricultural sector associated with the production and processing of potatoes. The primary objective of KDZ is to support industry modernization processes, promote varieties, facilitate contacts between market participants and integrate units of this agribusiness sector.